If you’re looking for the Rookster… You found him
Born in Brighton, England. I was a boy about town until the Smithers-Jones lifestyle sucked me in, and turned me into someone I did not want to be.
So, in 2013 (with the missus in tow) we left our Revolutionary Road, and took a mid-life meander to Melbourne (via S.E. Asia & India). The new experiences I encountered on the way, inspired me to write and make pictures.
These days I use photography and collage to question mainstream narratives, provoke thought and find new perspectives on the social and political forces that shape our world. Often through the use of cultural references in music, film, poetry and philosophy.
The more I see, the more I know. The more I know, the less I understand.
Ben Rook (theRookster)
- Shot in the Heart of Melbourne (SITHOM) – Victorian Artists Society, Melbourne – July 2018
- Australasia Now – Brunswick Street Gallery, Melbourne – May 2018
- CCP Salon – Centre for Contemporary Photography, Melbourne – 2017
- CCP Salon – Centre for Contemporary Photography, Melbourne – 2014
Training & Workshops:
- Darkroom Printing – Fox Darkroom & Gallery, Melbourne – 2018
- Film Photography & Developing – Fox Darkroom & Gallery, Melbourne – 2017
- Understanding & Curating Pictures with Les Walkling, CCP Melbourne – 2017
- Lighting Composition with Les Walkling, CCP Melbourne – 2016
- Photography – LaTrobe College of Art & Design, Melbourne – 2014
- Contemporary Painting – VCA, Melbourne – 2018
- Oil Painting – Victorian Artist’s Society, Melbourne – 2017
- Sculpture – Victorian Artist’s Society, Melbourne – 2017
- Imaging & Graphics – LaTrobe College of Art & Design, Melbourne – 2016